Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pmt, depression and menopause?

Menopause like childbirth can be a really rough time. Peri-menopause is what kicked off bipolar in earnest for me. It came way to early so no kids. If you have not seen a psychiatrist who specializes in mood disorders, see one. Prozac is one of the mildest antidepressants and there are A LOT of other options. Although therapy may sound like paying someone to listen to your problems, it is a lot more than that. Find a therapist you connect with and one who is experienced. It will make a difference over time. As for over the counter stuff, try Omega3 fatty acid fish pills. What you want is 2000-3000 mg of the EPA ingredient. There is some science behind it which is why my psychiatrist recommended it to me (I can't take ADs so I go with what I can get). It works for some, not for others. You should notice a mild difference in a week or so if it does work for you. Seriously, though, find a good mood disorder psychiatrist. That will make the biggest difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment